Hopefully you are recovered from the food-induced coma that your Thanksgiving meal brought on, come on now it’s been three days. If not, hurry up! there are leftovers to be had today and surely another satisfying coma awaits us. This may be the holiday that is responsible for the millions of New Years resolutions of “I will loose 15 pounds or I will go to the gym at least 4 days a week”.
The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade has to be one of the most iconic elements of the holiday. Across the country families put the play on the television and watch the bands and giant cartoon floats slide across the screen as the hypnotic aroma of turkey and all the fixings wafts from the kitchen. So when we were offered an opportunity to grab some exclusive shots of the floats being prepared for the big walk through NYC we had to take advantage of it. Now as you’re taking time out of your busy day to check the Cyber Monday deals stop and have a laugh with us as we share some interesting and often humorous anecdotes about the Macy’s Day Parade and then scroll on down and check out the awesome photo gallery featuring over 50 exclusive images!
- This was the 85th Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade (you may know this), the parade started in 1924.
- Started by Macy’s department store employees, first generation immigrants, to show their pride in their new American heritage.
- The parade starts on Central Park West at 77th street and travels south, it swings a left to go east onto Central Park South and turns to head down Seventh avenue finally ending on 34th street by the Macy’s New York Flagship store.
- MyCity Way developed a free app for iPhone and Android that offers real time parade tracking and more!
- There is a maintenance crew that precedes the parade. They swing all the stoplights and lamppost out of the street in order to provide a clear route for the balloons. Another crew follows the end of the parade and swings them back into place.
Incidents and Injuries:
- In 1957, a Popeye the Sailor balloon’s hat filled with rain water during heavy rain, this sent the balloon off course and provided a free shower on the crowd..
- In 1985, the Kermit balloon tore at the stomach. There’s nothing like a flattened frog!
- In 1993 Sonic the Hedgehog, perhaps thinking it was a token, crashed into a lamppost and injured an off-duty police officer.
- In 1994 the Barney balloon tore its side on a lamppost. This could cause childhood trauma.
- In 1997, high winds pushed the Cat in the Hat balloon into a lamppost. The falling debris struck a parade-goer, left her in a coma for a month. Wrong place wrong time anyone??
- The same high winds also caused the New York City Police to stab and stomp down Barney and a Pink Panther balloon. Now this would have been funny to watch!. “Police battle Barney and Pink Panther” News headlines
You can look up some great facts about the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on either of the following sites http://gothamist.com or http://wikipedia.org